Great article from Rachel Funk Heller on the excellent writer unboxed blog.
Rachel suggests that our writing can be improved if we are able to recreate the dreamlike state of mind more common in childhood play. She offers three strategies to facilitate this:
- Make time for a fun hobby
More details in the full article at writer unboxed. Click the link below:
“Having fun improves your writing” – tweet that
I can relate to this article. My most sucessful writing comes about when I am able to enter a dreamlike state of mind where my writing seems to just happen.
Its not always possible but I’ve found that each of the following strategies can be helpful to enable this:
- A few moments of deep breathing
- 10 minutes of silence
- Visualisation – something calming
- Writing something simple – a list
- Writing how I feel. This can release some of the pre-writing anxiety I sometimes feel and calms me.
- Playing music, just before and during writing. Usually something without lyrics.
What have you found helpful as a preparation for writing? Share your ideas in the comments section